Signing days are an awesome celebration of high school accomplishments. That tradition is now starting at Waukee APEX.
“It felt really good, I’ve never had to sign anything like that,” says Associate Trenton Madison.
Waukee APEX held their very first Skilled Trades Signing Day. It’s just like all of the signing days we’ve seen before, but with a unique twist. Associates, after years of hard work, are signing to their next place of education and employment.
“The plaque on our table made me feel like I was getting something accomplished,” adds Associate Quintin Richardson. “I was getting something done, it motivated me more to want to go into the trades.”
As Waukee says good bye to these associates, others are getting ready to say hello and they’re excited for whats ahead.
“We love APEX graduates,” says DMACC President Rob Denson. “These kids have had experiences in high school. They come with a number of credits, but even more important, they’ve had an opportunity to work in business, they make DMACC a better place.”
Job readiness is a major component of the APEX program and these associates are now ready for the real world.
“I think the most exciting thing is celebrating all the work that has been done,” says APEX Instructor Tyler Wright. “As the instructor behind the scenes, I’ve seen all the moving parts. The job shadows, the interviews and bringing it all together to one place was really exciting.”
Waukee celebrates a group of student associates committing to the trades by honoring their work inside our walls.
“It was a lot of hard work to get to this point. A lot of blood, sweat and tears for sure,” says Madison.
“Getting to celebrate that next step, getting to celebrate the success, it’s surreal, I had butterflies today,” adds Wright.
Class of 2021 Skilled Trades Signing Day Participants
- Liam Aikin – Webster Electric – Electrician
- Isaak Britt – DMACC and Army National Guard – Construction
- Isaac Brown – DMACC – Diesel Technician
- Kajuan Cox – Mid-American Energy – Linemen
- Trenton Madison – Hill & Culp Concrete – Concrete Finishing
- Zach Maharry – Webster Electric – Electrician
- Dean Remington – DMACC – Landscaping
- Quintin Richardson – Hill & Culp Concrete – Masonry
- Jermaine Sammler – Webster Electric – Electrician
- Andrew Tyrrell – DMACC and Shottenkirk Waukee – Automotive Mechanics