Foundations of Insurance and Actuarial Science is in the spring only during 2/3 block
Holmes Murphy, 2727 Grand Prairie Pkwy, Waukee, IA 50263
Did you know Iowa is a national leader in the insurance industry? Students in this course will learn foundational concepts of life, property/casualty, and health insurance as well as how actuarial science is applied in insurance. As students learn foundational concepts, they will be given opportunities to apply their learning to authentic problems and will have a chance to work with executives at some of Iowa’s leading insurance companies. This experience, combined with guest instructors, will provide students with a comprehensive look at possible career opportunities available in insurance and actuarial science, which are consistently recognized as a career field searching for highly skilled young professionals.
Students will be connected to industry partners to explore projects and career opportunities such as actuary, underwriter, quality assurance auditor, workman’s compensation claim examiner, commercial insurance loss control, accounting, agency sales, data analysis specialist.
Curriculum Advisory Team
- Jeff Heng, Chief Actuary, FBL Financial Group
- Rhonda Elming, Vice-President of Product Development, Sammons
- Jim Heidt, Associate Actuary, Finance & Administration, Nationwide
- Rick Osborn, Associate Vice President of Pricing, Nationwide
- Kevin Farley, Second Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Actuary, Principal Financial Group, Inc.
- Tim Jongerius, Senior Actuary, Wellmark Blue Cross & Blue Shield
- Katherine Eisbrener, Actuarial Analyst, Wellmark Blue Cross & Blue Shield
- Scott Jean, Vice President and Chief Actuary, EMC
- Dr. Rahul Parsa, Professor, Department of Actuarial Sciences & Statistics/Center for Actuarial Excellence, Drake University
- Michael Lentsch, Director of Program Development, Des Moines Area Community College
- John Currier, Chief Operating Officer, Formerly FBL Financial Group
- Chris Littlefield, Chief Executive Officer, Fidelity and Guaranty Life
- Peg Armstrong-Gustafson, Business Development Manager of Waukee APEX/President and Founder of Amson Technology, LLC
- Michelle Hill, Executive Director of Waukee APEX, Waukee Community School District
Review Curriculum Team (Internal & External Stakeholders)
- Carol Meyer, Pricing Actuary, Principal Financial Group, Inc.
- David Noga, Actuary, Principal Financial Group, Inc.
- Gina Noga, Director of Underwriting at Principal Financial Group, Principal Financial Group, Inc.
- Natalie Sell, Actuary, Principal Financial Group, Inc.
- Jed Alexander, Math Instructor, Van Meter High School
- Elizabeth Alexander, Actuary, Sammons Financial Group
- Bob Smith, Insurance Agent, State Farm
- Tim Bryte, Independent Insurance Agent River Valley Insurance
- Stephanie Groathouse, AP Statistics Math Instructor, Waukee High School
- Jay Winter, Finite Math & Precalculus, Waukee High School
- Neil Seeley, Precalculus & Calculus, Waukee High School
- Mark Stallman, Instructional Coach, Waukee High School
- Lindsay Law, Director of Teaching & Learning, Waukee Community School District
- Dr. Kari Henson, Associate Dean of Arts and Sciences, Des Moines Area Community College
- James Stick, Dean of Arts and Sciences, Des Moines Area Community College
- Randy Smith, Professor of Mathematics, Des Moines Area Community College